Riley Smith, RDN, CD
(accepting new clients)
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Washington State Certified Dietitian
Eating Disorder Dietitian
Riley’s approach is grounded in health at every size, respecting the inherent diversity of body shapes and sizes and rejecting the idealizing or pathologizing of specific body weights. Riley uses a holistic approach to eating disorder recovery and wellbeing. She incorporates respectful care and collaboration with her clients, using evidence-based medical nutrition therapy, nutrition education, intuitive eating, food exposure challenges, goal setting, coordinating care with her client’s healthcare team, meeting clients where they are at, and integrating family into care as needed.
Prior to her work with Simplicity Nutrition, Riley was a dietitian as part of an interdisciplinary team in an intensive outpatient and partial hospitalization (IOP/PHP) eating disorder treatment center for adolescents and adults. She understands that eating disorders are multifaceted and values the importance of working with other professions to help her clients achieve the best outcomes in recovery. She also recognizes family as a key component of one’s treatment team.
Her journey to becoming a registered dietitian began when she landed a job as a diet tech in an eating disorder treatment center while she was in school for Health Science. During this experience she learned of the impact that a dietitian can have on a person’s eating disorder recovery journey. Through this work, she learned Intuitive Eating and the Health at Every Size approach, and has since dedicated her work to helping others break apart diet culture and find healing and respect in their own bodies.
After receiving a Bachelor of Science in Health Science from the University of Central Florida, she pursued a Bachelors of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of North Florida. She then completed her dietetic internship through Illinois State University while residing in a built out school bus where she practiced in many settings across the nation. She is grateful to settle in Washington, and she looks forward to serving her new found community.
In her free time you can find Riley backpacking through the forest, exploring hikes near and far, snowboarding in the winter, or practicing lyra (aerial hoop).
Riley’s Specialties Include:
- eating disorders (bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, binge eating disorder, avoidant restrictive feeding and eating disorder, orthorexia, other specified feeding and eating disorder)
- Disordered eating
- Family involvement in adolescents and teens with eating disorders
- Adults with eating disorders
- Athletes with eating disorders
- Eating disorders and autism spectrum disorder
- Pregnant/postpartum with active or history of eating disorders
- Intuitive eating
- Eating disorders with mental health comorbidities such as borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety, adhd, bipolar, ocd tendencies etc.
- Sports nutrition for professional athletes and college athletes
- Nutrition for performers and dancers, including aerial arts and circus performance
- Nutrition support around backpacking/hiking/mountaineering/snow sports
- Pediatric nutrition
- Women’s health (pcos, menopause, amenorrhea, pregnancy, lactation)
- Peri and postmenopausal women
- Lifestyle nutrition and gentle nutrition
- Digestive distress (gas, bloating, diarrhea) and disorders
- Pre-diabetes, diabetes, insulin resistance, including new diabetes diagnosis
- Cholesterol, blood pressure, cardiovascular health
- Therapeutic cooking lessons and educational grocery store tours
“I’ve been meeting with Riley for a few months now and have had a really positive experience working with her. I’ve never felt judged or like I need to just fix myself. I’ve felt supported and like I have someone in my corner to help me make healthy choices in how I engage with food and care for my body. I was really nervous to start getting help for my eating disorder, but I’m really grateful that I made the decision to reach out!”